The Skidmore FountainThe Skidmore Fountain is a historic fountain in Portland, Oregon, United States. Erected in 1888, the fountain was intended to provide refreshment for "horses, men, and dogs," and it did that for many years. Today, however, the bronze and granite fountain is primarily decorative. It was dedicated September 22, 1888 in memory of Stephen G. Skidmore and partly financed by his will. Designed and built by sculptor Olin Warner for $18,000, all of which was donated. It is styled after fountains Skidmore viewed on his visit to the 1878 Paris Exposition and intended for "horses, men and dogs" to drink from Henry Weinhard offered to pump beer into the fountain at the dedication.The fountain is located near the west end of the Burnside Bridge at SW First and Pine streets within downtown Portland. The MAX Light Rail line runs past it and has a nearby stop named after the fountain.
Lots of choices